I know, I know, I do harp on about Ms Meryl Dorey of the Australian Vaccination Network. But, in response to her latest little crusade, an A-Z of vaccinations, I've decided to pop up an A-Z of nasty illnesses. You'll notice that I primarily picked ones with a vaccine. This of course was deliberate, because two can play at that game, Ms Dorey.
So as you read down the list just take a moment to be glad of how many illnesses, some potentially deadly, modern medicine has helped minimize in privileged society.
A-Z of nasty diseases:
- A. Anthrax- has vaccine
- B. Bacterial Meningitis- meningocoocal vaccine
- C. Cholera- vaccine
- D. Diphtheria- vaccine
- E...erm, Ebola? Erectile dysfunction? OK, so science is still working on E
- F. Feline Immunodeficiency Virus- alright it's not a people disease (and I'm using the "flu" under I for influenza) but there is a vaccine
- G. Genital warts- HPV vaccine
- H. Haemophilus influenzae Type b- vaccine
- I. Influenza- vaccine
- J. Jaundice, often linked to hepatitis- Hepatitis A and B vaccines
- K. Kennel cough- dogs this time and guess what? There's a vaccine
- L. Lyme disease- vaccine
- M. Measles and Mumps -vaccines
- N. Norovirus- vaccine starting human trial soon
- O. Obesity- vaccine in development.. yep, I'm serious
- P. Polio and Pertussis - vaccines
- Q. Q fever- vaccine
- R. Rabies and Rubella- vaccines
- S. Small pox- eradicated thanks to vaccines
- T. Typhoid- vaccine
- U. Urinary Tract Infection- vaccine in development
- V. Vitamin K deficiency. In extreme circumstances this can lead to bleeding into the brain in newborns- Vitamin K injection. (You thought I was just going to put V for Vaccine didn't you? That would have been lazy)
- W. West Nile virus- vaccine in development (Whooping cough was the obvious choice where, but I decided not to go with that)
- X. Lucky for us, not many diseases start with X. But, we do use the awesomness of x-rays for diagnosis. I know it's lame, but it'll have to do
- Y. Yersinia Petis and Yellow fever- vaccines
- Z. varicella Zoster (aka chicken pox)- vaccine
Oh yeah, and so far Ms Dorey is only up to 'D':
Edit (6 May 2012)
Now we have EFGH and J ... I think the AVN tweeter missed "I"
UPDATE: In relation to E, for ebola: According to this BBC report a commercial ebola vaccine is unlikely to ever reach development, as funding has been pulled.